CNA/Unit Secretary – ICU Casual Part-Time
Job Summary: Ensures the processing of ancillary department orders. Manages information via telephone, call bell, and direct conversation by directing to the appropriate person(s). Participates in up-staffing and down-staffing for the present and incoming shift in collaboration with the Charge Nurse/Supervisor/Nurse Manager. Performs CNA functions when requested, if applicable. Maintains a positive working relationship with co-workers and other health care professionals. Utilizes excellent customer service skills.
1. Maintains unit supplies and equipment to meet patient care needs.
2. Assists the Primary Charge Nurse and Nurse Manager in determining unit needs on an annual basis.
3. Assists Charge Nurse/Supervisor/Nurse Manager in problem-solving unit & patient needs.
4. Manages patient call system and responds appropriately and timely to patient requests.
5. Provides continuity of patient orders, day-to-day and shift-to-shift with appropriate follow-up.
6. Expediently manages “STAT” orders.
7. Timely entry of all patient data and results. Notifies Dietitian of NPO/Hold, TPN, tube feeding, and consult requests.
8. Expediently communicates physician order information to appropriate staff, including stat orders. Timely communication of diagnostic work to patient’s assigned nurse.
9. Greets families/visitors, Physicians and other staff, providing support, direction and information.
10. Ensures that adequate numbers of admission packets are available on the unit.
11. Maintains/updates chart by keeping it organized, adding forms, thinning chart as needed and posting hard copy results. Accurately maintains current active medical record.
12. Accurately posts cumulative and transcribed reports in the appropriate medical record as they are received, prepares chart for the OR prior to a procedure.
13. Copies chart for professionals when patient transfer in progress, and locates old records in Health Information Department as needed.
14. Completes all clerical functions for patient admission/transfer/change of status and discharge and notifies Admitting via CPSI.
15. Arranges for physician-ordered follow-up visits at time of discharge.
16. Meets with other CNA/Unit Secretaries relating to staffing needs and staff availability. Consults with the Charge Nurse/Primary Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager or the Supervisor as necessary.
17. Maintains an accurate roster, documents sick calls and all pertinent information.
18. After appropriate training and education, functions as an adjunct to professional staff in monitoring patient alarms and recognizes potentially lethal rhythms. Immediately notifies nursing staff.
19. Replaces leads on patient as needed, (changes batteries).
20. Able to document patient name, date and time on computer for telemetry patients.