CNA – 12 hrs/wk – Oncology
Position Description: The Cancer Center Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) functions as a clinical support partner to assist the patient care team by performing various tasks and procedures under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. The CNA is responsible for providing nursing assistance care for infusion suite patients in a safe, efficient, and compassionate manner. The CNA will provide routine direct patient care within specific unit policies and procedures, report pertinent information to the RN and respond to patient care needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administers care according to established standards and hospital policy.
- Demonstrates a systematic and prioritized approach to care and treatment.
- Takes responsibility for assuring that safe patient care is maintained including following established protocols and use of tools provided by the organization to ensure patient safety.
- Knowledge and use of aseptic techniques and infection control principles.
- Assists Nurse and Nurse Manager in problem-solving patient needs.
- Responds appropriately and timely to patient requests.
- Timely communication of diagnostic results to patient’s assigned nurse.
- Displays excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to greet and effectively communicate with coworkers, physicians, patients and their families.
- Some office duties including answering phones and photocopying.
- Welcomes patients to Infusion Suite, seating the patient and assisting them with comfort needs and activities.
- Assists patients with toileting, ambulating and repositioning.
- Transports patients to have testing in other hospital departments.
- Obtains vital signs, heights, weights, blood sugars and periodic urine and stool samples.
- Brings samples to laboratory department.
- Orders lab work through Thrive computerized system.
- Faxes orders to pharmacy department.
- Orders meals through Dietary for Infusion Suite patients and obtains them from the Cafeteria.
- Ensures that adequate daily paperwork is available in the Infusion Suite.
- Maintains/updates chart by keeping it organized and accurately maintains current active medical record.
- Documents patient care and data in a complete and timely manner.
- Assures that Infusion Suite schedule is maintained appropriately and efficiently, using Enterprise Wide Scheduling.
- Maintains supplies for Infusion Suite by using established par levels and by using EHS Scan-N-Go scanning system.
- Works with specialty pharmacies to order scheduled medications.
- Responds appropriately to workload changes during the shift.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability.
- Ability to perform effectively in highly stressful situations.
- Provides compassionate care to the hematology and oncology patient population.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Maintains current Nursing Assistant Certification for the State of Maine.
- Core hours are generally six (6) hour shifts, Monday-Friday. Shift times are variable depending on patient volume.
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work beyond the core hours (prior to 0800, beyond 1400).
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Educational, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- Maintain current BLS certification.
- Meet the Center’s annual competency training requirements within scope of practice.