CNA/Unit Secretary – 27 hrs/wk Emergency Department (nights)
Job Summary: Computer data entry, documentation in patient records, photocopying, filing, and assisting clinical staff in other duties. Also includes: scheduling appointments, answering phones, and performing CNA duties when applicable.
1. Collaborate with nurses and physicians as needed to maximize team effectiveness.
2. Maintain fax machine, printers and PCs, while troubleshooting problems.
3. Report patient concerns to the Primary Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager for follow-up.
4. Courteously interact with all hospital staff, and answer/respond to telephone calls.
5. Obtain and monitor needed supplies/equipment; make recommendations to The ED Primary Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager.
6. Function as a Certified Nurse’s Assistant as directed by ED Primary Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager.
7. Assist physicians and nurses in contacting other physicians/offices in any way needed.
8. Actively participate in departmental quality management by completing assigned audits and data collection. Collating data as requested, maintaining knowledge of annual QM plan.
9. Accurately enters orders within CPSI when necessary.
10. Consults other departments, as appropriate, to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
11. Retrieves lab results, medical records, and other pertinent medical information as requested by physicians or nurses.
12. Takes specimens to the Clinical Laboratory as requested.
13. Manages and orders supplies based on established par level system and as needed. Assists in cost containment through appropriate ordering and conserving of supplies and equipment.
14. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized, and effectively function under stressful situations.
15. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity.
16. Interacts professionally with patients and their families and provides explanations and verbal reassurance as necessary.
17. Retrieves supplies and equipment from Central Supply or other units as requested.
18. Maintains age specific safety precautions.
19. Performs duties/tasks requested by the ED Primary Charge Nurse and/or Nurse Manager.
Education, Skills, Experience Requirements:
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D.
2. Certified Nurse’s Assistant Certification.
3. Maintains a current CNA certificate of the state of Maine.
4. Medical terminology not required but desired.
5. Ability to type 40 words per minute, as well as basic computer skills.