CNA/Unit Secretary – ICU 20 hrs/wk
Job Summary: Ensures the processing of ancillary department orders. Manages information via telephone, call bell, and direct conversation by directing to the appropriate person(s). Participates in up-staffing and down-staffing for the present and incoming shift in collaboration with the Charge Nurse/Supervisor/Nurse Manager. Performs CNA functions when requested, if applicable. Maintains a positive working relationship with co-workers and other health care professionals. Utilizes excellent customer service skills.
- Maintains unit supplies and equipment to meet patient care needs.
- Assists the Primary Charge Nurse and Nurse Manager in determining unit needs on an annual basis.
- Assists Charge Nurse/Supervisor/Nurse Manager in problem-solving unit & patient needs.
- Manages patient call system and responds appropriately and timely to patient requests.
- Provides continuity of patient orders, day-to-day and shift-to-shift with appropriate follow-up.
- Expediently manages “STAT” orders.
- Timely entry of all patient data and results. Notifies Dietitian of NPO/Hold, TPN, tube feeding, and consult requests.
- Expediently communicates physician order information to appropriate staff, including stat orders. Timely communication of diagnostic work to patient’s assigned nurse.
- Greets families/visitors, Physicians and other staff, providing support, direction and information.
- Ensures that adequate numbers of admission packets are available on the unit.
- Maintains/updates chart by keeping it organized, adding forms, thinning chart as needed and posting hard copy results. Accurately maintains current active medical record.
- Accurately posts cumulative and transcribed reports in the appropriate medical record as they are received, prepares chart for the OR prior to a procedure.
- Copies chart for professionals when patient transfer in progress, and locates old records in Health Information Department as needed.
- Completes all clerical functions for patient admission/transfer/change of status and discharge and notifies Admitting via CPSI.
- Arranges for physician-ordered follow-up visits at time of discharge.
- Meets with other CNA/Unit Secretaries relating to staffing needs and staff availability. Consults with the Charge Nurse/Primary Charge Nurse/Nurse Manager or the Supervisor as necessary.
- Maintains an accurate roster, documents sick calls and all pertinent information.
- After appropriate training and education, functions as an adjunct to professional staff in monitoring patient alarms and recognizes potentially lethal rhythms. Immediately notifies nursing staff.
- Replaces leads on patient as needed, (changes batteries).
- Able to document patient name, date and time on computer for telemetry patients.
- Meets the identified organizational requirements, work habits & promotes a collaborative & cooperative work environment.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations
- Depending on department staffing needs, you may be asked to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
Education, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- Active Maine C.N.A. certification
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Meets minimum of 12 hours per year of continuing education (hrs. submitted to Health Education Dept. for record keeping).
- ACU and SCU: attends/successfully completes unit secretary basic EKG monitoring course.
- Maintains current BLS (Heart Saver and Healthcare Provider).
- Accountable for competency and will perform in a minimum of two (2) nursing units.