Director of Hospitality Services – Full-Time
Director of Hospitality Services – (Nutritional, Housekeeping, Laundry, Central Supply)
Directs activities of institution department providing quality food service and nutritional care for the patient population, visitors, guests and hospital staff. Administers, plans and directs activities of department providing quantity food service. Establishes policies and procedures, and provides administrative direction of menu formulation, food preparation and service, purchasing, sanitation standards, safety practices, and personnel utilization. Selects professional dietetic staff and directs departmental education programs. Coordinates interdepartmental professional activities, and acts as resource person to staff and management on matters pertaining to dietetics. Participates in CQI performance improvement activities and educates all staff members.
Essential Job Duties:
- Determines quality and quantity of food required, plans and prepares master menus, supervises the planning of menus for therapeutic diets and controls food costs.
- Supervises food production and service programs, as well as departmental personnel involved.
- Ensures food preparation for optimal nutrition (including attention to various age groups of patients) and economic handling of food, as well as efficient usage fo time.
- Plans menus, purchases food and assigns duties for special functions, such as medical staff meetings, board meetings, recognition dinners and other related hospital functions.
- Checks food for flavor, temperature and appearance on a regular basis.
- Confers with other departments, such as the medical staff and nursing, regarding the technical and administrative aspects of dietetic service.
- Evaluates supervisory personnel on a regular basis according to prescribed guidelines; terminates personnel according to standard procedure, as required.
- Prepares departmental budget on an annual basis.
- Makes frequent inspection of all work, storage and servicing areas to determine that regulations and directions governing dietetic activities are followed.
- Develops and prepares policies and procedures governing handling and storage of supplies equipment, sanitation and record-keeping and compiling of reports.
- Reviews department performance and institutes changes in techniques or procedures to improve services, simplify work flow, assure compliance with regulatory requirements and promotes more efficient operation of the Nutritional Services Department.
- Develops standards of performance, determines areas of responsibility, assigns responsibility and accountability and delegates authority to the various managerial, supervisory and professional members of the staff.
- Reviews records and reports covering number and kinds of regular and therapeutic diets prepared, nutritional and caloric analysis of meals, costs of raw food and labor, computations of daily ration cost and inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of cultural factors and age specific competencies in regards to patient population served.
- Performs related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
- Complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Education, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- Current Certified Dietary Manager and Certified Food Protection Professional in the State of Maine.
- Recent experience in managing the food services in an acute hospital and long term care.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.