Financial Counselor Lead – Internal Applicants
Job Summary: The Financial Counselor Lead provides guidance to other Financial Counselor staff members in the maintenance of professional standards of practice and policies. The Lead will demonstrate professional, customer-focused, service-orientated behavior, displaying respect, care, and dignity for all internal and external customers. The Lead will facilitate a team orientated attitude, continuously striving for service excellence. The Lead will provide knowledge, guidance and follow through with ongoing workflow development, as well as with all aspects of patient care. The Lead will have no independent authority to hire, fire or discipline.
1. Serves as an advisor and mentor for Financial Counselors.
2. Responsible for pro-active communication with all Financial Counselors, including demonstrating an understanding of the need for outstanding relationship development within areas of the organizations (ie. Radiology, Case Management, Pines Health Centers, etc.).
3. Establishes the standards for Staff—communication and ensures all staff understand and adhere to these standards.
4. Ensures Patient Account Manager is alerted to patient complaints, issues potentially impacting patient experience and financial assistance opportunities, as well as departmental issues.
5. Reviews financial assistance applications completed by other Financial Counselors, initials confirmation of the review and provides to Patient Account Manager for signature.
6. Assist Patient Account Manager as needed.
7. Trains all new Financial Counselors.
8. Provides back up Financial Counselor coverage.
9. Assists with contacting all overdue accounts with a priority on accounts over $300.00.
10. Make payment arrangements according to policy.
11. Consolidate accounts according to policy.
12. Counsel patients as needed and note each account via the CPSI/EMR system.
13. Patient complaints are to be handled immediately or as soon as possible and according to policy.
14. Reports: Bad debt list (regular), free care list, Medicare bad debts, employee discounts, employee health and small balance adjustments, etc.
15. Send payment reports, itemized bills and suit authorizations to collection agency.
16. Send employee health benefit payroll deduction forms to payroll.
17. Process patient refunds.
18. Send itemized bills to patients within 24 hours of requests.
19. Perform other related duties as assigned.