Oncology (Jefferson Cary Cancer Center) – Office Nurse (RN/LPN/MA) 36 hrs/wk
Position Description: Provides nursing care for Physician Office patients at the Jefferson Cary Cancer Center in a safe, efficient, and compassionate manner. The Cancer Center Physician Office Nurse promotes patient advocacy and collaborates with the Cancer Center team to ensure effective and efficient patient care delivery. This position will be responsible for the patients of the practice, ensuring smooth daily operations. This individual will screen patient calls to the providers, assist providers with procedures and perform duties as designated. Performs all assigned duties with emphasis on patient safety and satisfaction, accuracy, confidentiality and professionalism.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administer care according to established nursing standards and hospital policy.
- Take responsibility for assuring that safe patient care is maintained.
- Demonstrate a systematic approach to care and treatment.
- Support multidisciplinary involvement in the plan of care.
- Communicate effectively with physician and in a timely manner.
- Obtain and document patient vital signs, pain level and weight for review by physician.
- Obtain a medication list from patients on each visit, updating the medication list in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Provide Infusion Suite nurses with updated medication lists for mutual patients.
- Educate patients and their family.
- Process lab work, office procedures, makes appointments for diagnostic or specialty testing, while educating patients about procedures and preparation for procedures.
- Prepares (to include stocking of medical supplies as needed) and cleans exam rooms for provider/patient needs.
- Assess all clinical calls with provider to determine acuity.
- Maintain smooth flow in daily schedule between providers and patients.
- Maintain EMR, ensure that results are appropriately scanned into system.
- Upon provider orders, relay patient prescriptions to the pharmacist, follow-up on orders, and notification of test results and closing loop on all open orders in EMR.
- Responsible for maintaining tickler system in the EMR.
- Review and obtain necessary pre-authorization approval for patients.
- Assure that informed consent is obtained prior to all procedures.
- Maintain supplies for Infusion Suite by using established par levels.
- Participate in orientation of new staff.
- Recognize individual learning needs of coworkers and provide opportunities to their needs.
- Respond appropriately to workload changes during the shift.
- Actively participate in evaluating the quality of nursing care provided and patient care outcomes.
- Recognize own needs and take initiative to set measurable goals for professional growth and development.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with coworkers, physicians, patients and their families.
- Knowledge and use of aseptic techniques and infection control principles.
- Ability to perform effectively in highly stressful situations.
- Provide compassionate care to the hematology and oncology patient population.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Maintains current LPN/RN/MA licensure for the State of Maine.
- Core hours are generally 0730-1630 Monday – Friday.
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work beyond the core hours (prior to 0730, beyond 1630).
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work nights, weekends and holidays.