Oncology (Jefferson Cary Cancer Center) – RN Per Diem
Position Description: Provides nursing care for infusion suite patients at the Jefferson Cary Cancer Center in a safe, efficient, compassionate manner. The Cancer Center Infusion Suite Nurse is responsible for performing chemotherapy and infusion administration, patient and family education, symptom management and patient follow-up. The Infusion Suite Nurse maintains a working knowledge of cancer disease process, treatments, prognosis, complications and management.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administer care according to established nursing standards and hospital policy.
- Administer injections, chemotherapy drugs, blood transfusions, hydration and other medications as ordered by physician; all according to current protocol/standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill in safe handling and disposal of all drugs, including chemotherapy/ biotherapy agents.
- Maintain a working knowledge of chemotherapy drugs and associated side effects.
- Demonstrate knowledge in the principles of chemotherapy/biotherapy administration.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in IV Therapy administration and complications.
- Continuously evaluate patient response to medications and interventions.
- Performs ongoing assessment, using internal and external knowledge and experience, to prevent patient safety occurrence and maintain and improve patient safety.
- Take responsibility for assuring that safe patient care is maintained.
- Demonstrate a systematic approach to care and treatment.
- Support multidisciplinary involvement in the plan of care.
- Communicates effectively with physician and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill in vascular access device management.
- Assessment and management of side effects
- Educates patients and their family.
- Documents patients care in a complete manner. Documentation should include, but is not limited to: patient’s response to interventions, administration of medication, education provided and reception of it, side effects noted and treated.
- Correct charging for all patients on JCCC Charge Sheet on day of service.
- Assures that Infusion Suite schedule is maintained appropriately and efficiently.
- Maintains supplies for Infusion Suite by using established par levels.
- Participate in orientation of new staff.
- Recognize individual learning needs of coworkers and provide opportunities to their needs.
- Respond appropriately to workload changes during the shift.
- Actively participate in evaluating the quality of nursing care provided and patient care outcomes.
- Recognize own needs and take initiative to set measurable goals for professional growth and development.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with coworkers, physicians, patients and their families.
- Knowledge and use of aseptic techniques and infection control principles.
- Ability to perform effectively in highly stressful situations.
- Provide compassionate care to the hematology and oncology patient population.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Core hours are generally 0800-1630 Monday – Friday.
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work beyond the core hours (prior to 0800, beyond 1630).
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Maintain current BLS certification.
- ACLS certification recommended.
- Obtain Chemotherapy and Biotherapy provider card within 6 months of hire.
- Obtain Oncology Certified Nurse certification within 1 year of obtaining the Chemotherapy and Biotherapy provider card.
- Meet the center’s annual competency training requirements.