Pre-Visit Planner 37.5 hrs – Oncology
Position Description: Responsible for pre-planning appointments to ensure testing, procedures, and reports are completed and available for each patient visit. The Pre-Visit Planner promotes patient advocacy and collaborates with the Cancer Center team to ensure effective and efficient patient care delivery. This position provides a proactive approach to care that ensures each visit is meaningful and well organized.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administer care according to established standards and hospital policy.
- Take an active role in assuring that safe patient care is maintained.
- Demonstrate a systematic approach to patient care and services, helping to run clinic smoothly.
- Support multidisciplinary involvement in the plan of care.
- Communicate effectively with physician and nursing staff in a timely manner.
- Gather necessary information for upcoming patient visits.
- Process lab work, office procedures and make appointments for diagnostic or specialty testing.
- Review referrals and follow up with outside providers or hospitals for health information that has not been received.
- Assess all clinical calls with provider or office nurses to determine acuity.
- Maintain smooth flow in daily schedule between providers and patients.
- Provide reminder calls to patients for appointments, labs and procedures.
- Demonstrate high level of time management skills and efficiency.
- Demonstrate consistent attention to detail and organization.
- Maintain EMR, ensure that results are appropriately scanned into system.
- Responsible for maintaining tickler system in the EMR.
- Review and obtain necessary pre-authorization approval for patients, communicating this information to staff involved in the patient’s care.
- Maintain pre-authorization log, providing proactive approach and initiative consistently.
- Participate in orientation of new staff when applicable.
- Recognize individual learning needs of coworkers and provide opportunities to their needs.
- Respond appropriately to workload changes during the shift.
- Recognize own needs and take initiative to set measurable goals for professional growth and development.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with coworkers, physicians, patients and their families.
- Ability to perform effectively in highly stressful situations.
- Provide compassionate care to the hematology and oncology patient population.
- Act as back-up staff for patient registration, cross-training with applicable duties.
- Schedule and organize “Tumor Board” meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Core hours are generally 0800-1600 Monday – Friday.
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work beyond the core hours (prior to 0800, beyond 1600).
- Depending on scheduling and/or staffing needs, may need to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Educational, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- Meet the department and hospital annual competency training requirements.