Primary Charge Nurse – 36 hrs/wk – ACU/ICU
Job Summary: In collaboration with Nurse Manager, will share responsible for the day to day operation of the unit, with primary focus on quality patient care. Provide leadership for employees within the unit by role modeling professional standards. Continuously collaborate with the nurse manager, Physicians and other members of the health care team to maximize positive patient outcomes while ensuring a cohesive 24-hour team approach to the unit and to patient needs. The Primary Charge Nurse will maintain clinical hours with direct patient care in addition to designated non-clinical hours to achieve specified responsibilities.
- Demonstrate a positive and professional attitude with proven leadership skills.
- Take an active role with the ongoing professional development of staff.
- Collaborate with the nurse manager to ensure Quality Management objectives are met (data collection, developing plan of improvement, etc.).
- Collaborate with nurse manager in completion of staff performance evaluations.
- Maintain an ongoing dialogue with nurse manager in regard to staff performance, problems or potential problems, areas of concern, ideas for improvement/change, and plans of action. (Disciplinary Action will be the responsibility of the nurse manager).
- Participate in staff interviews as directed by nurse manager. (Hiring will be the responsibility of the nurse manager).
- Work with other departments to coordinate patient care and flow.
- Assist staff in remaining focused on unit goals and on activities necessary to maintain those goals.
- Complete of daily staffing/assignment sheets, rosters, etc. utilizing patient acuity, staff experience, education and staff mix.
- Complete Attendance on Demand every 2 weeks.
- Coordinate with nurse manager unit staff meetings and drafts meeting minutes for review prior to posting for staff.
- Assist the nurse manager in identification of capital needs and justification.
- Participate in the department’s annual budget process.
- Monitor staff competencies ongoing, identifying areas of concern.
- Assist with the implementing and evaluating the plan of action for assisting individuals in improvement of competency.
- Work collaboratively with designated preceptors and nurse educator in the orientation of new staff; monitors progress.
- Identify educational needs of staff and plan/implement/evaluate programs and in-services.
- Monitor due dates for yearly mandatory requirements of staff and assure those requirements are met.
- Collaborate on in-services of new equipment, procedures, documentation, processes, etc.
- Serve on hospital committees to promote professional services and/or quality care.
- Update clinical knowledge and skills, and maintain professional competencies through continuing education programs, journals, workshops, etc.
- Maintain non-clinical responsibility; attend meetings, staffing assignments, and assist the nurse manager with financial processes.
- Comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Perform other work-related duties and assigned.
Education, Skills, Experience:
- Current Maine Professional Registered Nursing License
- Minimum two years nursing experience in primary specialty
- Prior charge nurse experience
- Positive interpersonal and team building skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills