Registered Nurse – 12 hrs/wk – Specialty Clinics
Position Description: Provides nursing care for Specialty Clinics in a safe, efficient, and compassionate manner. The Specialty Clinics Nurse promotes patient advocacy and collaborates with the clinics team to ensure effective and efficient patient care delivery. This position will be responsible for the patients of the various clinics, ensuring smooth daily operations. This individual will triage patient phone calls, schedule clinic providers, arrange provider transportation and lodging, and assist providers with procedures and perform duties as designated. Performs all assigned duties with emphasis on patient safety and satisfaction, accuracy, confidentiality and professionalism.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Administer care according to established nursing standards and hospital policy.
- Take responsibility for assuring that safe patient care is maintained.
- Demonstrate a systematic approach to care and treatment.
- Support multidisciplinary involvement in the plan of care.
- Communicate effectively with physicians and in a timely manner.
- Obtain and document patient vital signs, height and weight for review by physician.
- Obtain a medication list from patients on each visit, updating the medication list in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Educate patients and their family.
- Assist with office procedures.
- Ensure that patients receive any required requisitions and/or orders.
- Schedule and book patients for One Day Surgery procedures.
- Prepare (to include stocking of medical supplies as needed) and clean exam rooms for provider/patient needs.
- Assess all clinical calls to determine acuity.
- Maintain smooth flow in daily schedule between providers and patients.
- Review and obtain necessary pre-authorization approval for patients.
- Assure that informed consent is obtained prior to all procedures.
- Participate in orientation of new staff.
- Recognize individual learning needs of coworkers and provide opportunities to their needs.
- Respond appropriately to workload changes during the shift.
- Actively participate in evaluating the quality of nursing care provided and patient care outcomes.
- Recognize own needs and take initiative to set measurable goals for professional growth and development.
- Demonstrate responsibility and accountability.
- Display excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with coworkers, physicians, patients and their families.
- Knowledge and use of aseptic techniques and infection control principles.
- Ability to perform job duties independently in an outpatient setting.
- Ability to perform effectively in highly stressful situations.
- Provide compassionate care to the specialty clinics patient population.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Educational, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- Maintain current BLS certification.
- At least one year of medical/surgical nursing preferred.