Release of Information Technician – 40 hrs/wk Health Information Management
Job Summary: Activities include, but are not limited to: maintaining medical record integrity through filing, assembling, and retrieving patient records and maintaining the patient master index. Also assists Physicians and hospital staff in locating medical records. Responsible for charge entry as assigned.
- Complete the OPD unit record procedure to include ER, WI Clinic, and Specialty Clinic.
- Retrieve medical records, sign out as outlined in a timely manner, and deliver charts to ED if nursing cannot pick up.
- File all medical records in appropriate area within Health Info Management.
- File all inpatient late reports as they appear in department.
- File living wills/advanced directives as outlined in a timely manner.
- File all ancillary reports in a timely manner.
- Complete final review procedure on inpatient and ODS medical records.
- Maintain a working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Enter, batch total, and post charges in a timely fashion.
- Attend workshops and in-services when made available.
- Perform in an independent manner with some supervision.
- Display courtesy at all times when communicating with Physicians and staff members.
- Perform backup for Discharge Analyst when needed.
- Process ROI requests in a timely manner.
- Perform related duties as assigned, or as the situation dictates.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wear identification while on duty.
- Use computerized punch system correctly.
- Adhere to dress code, appearance is neat and tidy.
- Maintain and ensure patient confidentiality at all times.
- Comply with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Maintain regulatory requirements as applicable (e.g. licensing, certification).
- Attend department staff meetings.
- Adhere to safety policies as evidenced by in-service attendance records and employee practices.
- Park in designated employee areas, allowing accessible parking for the elderly, ill, and visitors.
- Do not exceed 3% unscheduled absences.
- Complete work within designated time.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and maintain accountability for own actions.
- Show initiative and follow-through.
- Demonstrate productivity at work (makes good use of down time).
- Perform duties willingly and enthusiastically.
- Return to work from breaks, meals, meetings, and in-services in a timely fashion.
- Take appropriate actions when safety issues are identified (report hazardous situations to appropriate person, remove malfunctioning equipment, etc.)
- Follow recommendations designed to reduce worksite injuries (proper body mechanics, personal protective gear, safe sharps, etc.).
- Demonstrate the ability to be flexible, organized, and function under stressful situations.
- Demonstrate judicious use of supplies.
- Complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Education, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- Completion of any in-hospital training required.
- Ability to relate professionally with other hospital staff.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- High School Diploma or GED/equivalent business training.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred; office procedures; typing.