Security Officer/Screener – 36 hrs/wk – Security (Anticipated Opening)(Temporary Position)
Job Summary: The Security Officer is responsible for responding rapidly to patient, family &
visitor situations that are violent and/or escalating towards violence. The Security Officer will
work to protect patients, staff and visitors in safety and security situations. The Security Officer
will manage safety and security situations, working collaboratively with nursing and Medical
Providers. The Security Officer will ensure buildings, doors, and egresses are secure and open
public entrances are locked on the approved schedule. The Security Officer will be visible to
patients, staff and visitors throughout the workday.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Enforces and abides by all regulations and security policies/procedures of Cary Medical
2. Enforces parking regulations for patients, visitors and staff.
3. Performs investigations in matters related to security incidents.
4. Establishes and maintains outstanding working relationships with local law enforcement
agencies. Remains knowledgeable of regulations and laws pertaining to security,
personal protection and emergency preparedness.
5. Inputs information into the Daily Activity Reports and Incident Reports.
6. Responds quickly and effectively to emergency and non-emergency situations. Escorts
7. Provides a visible deterrence to crime, prohibited or suspicious activities in public and
non-public areas in all places within the organization of Cary Medical Center.
8. Communicates effectively with diverse people including patients, visitors, employees,
9. Works in an environment that requires exceptional customer services skills. Maintains a
professional and positive working relationship.
10. Interacts with hospital departments professionally.
11. Verbally intervenes during crisis and uses deescalating techniques when necessary. This
includes the ability to quickly grasp various situations, develop rapport with individuals
in distress, understand when people are/are not processing information and be supportive
or directive as appropriate.
12. Able to physically intervene during crisis. This includes the functional ability to
physically restrain individuals, requiring the retention of knowledge in stressful situations
as well as the ability to meet significant physical demands including those of a struggle
with someone physically larger and heavier, while making all possible effort not to inflict
13. Responsible for proper use of cameras, building access systems and ID Badge systems,
including providing input to the Director of Security on system operability.
14. Participates in regular security drills at all Cary locations.
15. Maintains some availability by cell phone for off-duty emergencies or major incident
responses which may occur after hours or on the weekends.
16. Communicates directly with the Director of Security on items of security, risk and/or
17. Must be proficient in the proper use of security and safety equipment.
18. Will assist in patient management and workflow in the Emergency Department as patient
volume and situation dictate, done at the request of Administration, manager, ED
Medical Provider, Nursing Supervisor or Nursing staff.
19. Willingness to perform other duties as requested.
Licenses and Education:
1. Law Enforcement experience preferred
2. Valid Maine Driver’s License
3. International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety Basic Security Officer
Certification within 180 days of hire and Advanced certification within 18 months of