Surgical Technician – 40 hrs/wk – Operating Room (Anticipated Opening)
Job Summary: An Operating Room Technician is a member of the surgical team in the Operating Room who works with the surgeon, anesthesia personnel and registered nurses, delivering patient care before, during and after surgery. Acts as a scrub person who handles the instruments, supplies and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon, has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure. Has understanding of procedures being performed, constantly on vigil for maintenance of sterile field.
Essential Job Duties:
- Interacts professionally with patient and family.
- Adapts procedures to meet individual needs of neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients for treatment.
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
- Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
- Assists in positioning and draping of patient for surgical procedure.
- Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect counts; reports all discrepancies to circulating Nurse and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
- Carries out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments/procedures.
- Maintains safe environment for patient, co-workers and self, per hospital policies and procedures.
- Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning.
- Protects patient’s sensitivities and the right to privacy; closely observes patient with minimal disturbances.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic, and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Assists other members of team with terminal clean-up of room in readiness for next patient.
- Follows aseptic technique, when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
- Identification and use of sound judgment in instituting established procedures to correct them in a calm and efficient manner.
- Develop initiative in order to inquire, challenge and explore new procedures and subjects relating to the operating room and to the surgical patient.
- Sets up, scrubs and prepares for procedures at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled time, unless otherwise directed by Circulating Nurse or Nurse Manager.
- Performs serviced requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN.
- Always maintains an orderly and sterile instrument table for the purpose of efficiency; follows department standard set up.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon during intraoperative phase.
- Identifies the structure and function of body parts; recognize common disorders of the body.
- Understand all aspects of Operating Room techniques, both routine and special procedures, and apply them in professional manner.
- Cleans and prepares room between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary and organizes effective for end-of-case clean up.
- IS fully responsible for care of instruments/equipment during intra/postoperative phase, including cleaning and processing of instruments.
- Realize the importance of teamwork, consideration and cooperation.
- Follows written procedures for steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
- Recognize limits of individual responsibility.
- Recognize and clearly understand that each individual is totally responsible for their own actions.
- Consults with other staff members, when in question or unfamiliar with equipment or procedure.
- Displays dexterity in the use of surgical instruments and the knowledge of the step-by-step procedure for specific surgical procedures.
- Regularly collaborates with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies for surgical procedures.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationship with co-workers for the patient’s benefit.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgement within the Operating Room Technician’s scope of practice.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of assigned case and instruments and/or trays to be pulled for procedure.
Surgical Tech experience is strongly preferred. On the job training for a superior candidate is possible.