WAY TO WELLNESS #21
When you take a look at your office desk or home office areas, what do you see? Are there papers sprawled everywhere? Lingering trash? Or is there simply nothing but blank walls and empty desk space?
Creating and maintaining a healthy workspace is about more than just getting rid of some clutter. It’s about creating a space that promotes healthy habits and helps you feel comfortable and calm throughout your workday. If your workspace makes you feel anything but zen, it might be time for a little makeover.
Each of us prefers his or her own style of organized workspace, but here are a few tips to get you started:
- Start with sanitation. Wipe down and disinfect desk tops, keyboards, computer mice and phones. Try to regularly rid your desk of the germs that can gather there.
- Get rid of clutter. Old papers, dirty coffee mugs, and extra, useless supplies shouldn’t have a home at your workspace.
- Don’t forget what you can’t see. Sometimes having a junk drawer is just unavoidable. That doesn’t mean every one of your desk drawers should be a junk drawer, though.
- Don’t overdo it. You need to be comfortable at your workspace. If it’s too clean or organized, and you feel like you can’t actually do work, you’ve gone too far.
- Organize both physically and virtually. In most workplaces, a computer is a vital part of your workspace. Clean up and organize your digital files, too.
- Do this regularly. Creating a clean workspace isn’t a one and done event. As you continue your work, your desk will probably get messy again.
- Personalize your workspace. If you are allowed to, customize your workspace by bringing in personal items/décor or integrating colors that bring you joy.