CNA/ER Tech – 12 hrs/wk – Emergency Department
Job Summary: Computer data entry, documentation in patient records, photocopying, filing, and assisting clinical staff in other duties. Also includes: scheduling appointments, answering phones, and performing CNA duties when applicable.
- Collaborate with nurses and physicians as needed to maximize team effectiveness.
- Maintain fax machine, printers and PCs, while troubleshooting problems.
- Report patient concerns to the Primary Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager for follow-up.
- Courteously interact with all hospital staff, and answer/respond to telephone calls.
- Obtain and monitor needed supplies/equipment; make recommendations to The ED Primary Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager.
- Function as a Certified Nurse’s Assistant as directed by ED Primary Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager.
- Assist physicians and nurses in contacting other physicians/offices in any way needed.
- Actively participate in departmental quality management by completing assigned audits and data collection. Collating data as requested, maintaining knowledge of annual QM plan.
- Accurately enters orders within CPSI when necessary.
- Consults other departments, as appropriate, to provide for an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
- Retrieves lab results, medical records, and other pertinent medical information as requested by physicians or nurses.
- Takes specimens to the Clinical Laboratory as requested.
- Manages and orders supplies based on established par level system and as needed. Assists in cost containment through appropriate ordering and conserving of supplies and equipment.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized, and effectively function under stressful situations.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity.
- Interacts professionally with patients and their families and provides explanations and verbal reassurance as necessary.
- Retrieves supplies and equipment from Central Supply or other units as requested.
- Maintains age specific safety precautions.
- Performs duties/tasks requested by the ED Primary Charge Nurse and/or Nurse Manager.
Education, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Certified Nurse’s Assistant Certification.
- Maintains a current CNA certificate of the state of Maine.
- Medical terminology not required but desired.
- Ability to type 40 words per minute, as well as basic computer skills.
- Ability to answer phones courteously an in a professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Must be able to perform well in stressful, noisy situations.
- Maintains a high degree of responsibility, accountability, and flexibility.
- Ability to use fax machine, photocopier and personal computer.
- Demonstrates knowledge of computerized technology, procedures for reporting failures, and procedures for emergency shutdowns.