Coder – 40 hrs/wk – Health Information Management
Job Summary: Activities include, but are not limited to: coding for inpatient and outpatient services, diagnostic tests and other medical services rendered to each patient, in compliance with federal and state regulations using appropriate classification systems.
- Code patient encounters including surgeries, hospital and nursing home visits, office visits, and pathology as assigned.
- Codes all medical records averaging within five days of patient visit.
- Review and correct denied claims as appropriate on a daily basis.
- Maintains a working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Consistently gives accurate attention to detail.
- Attends workshops and in-services when made available.
- Provides coding process overview to new providers and regularly meets with providers for clarification of coding as necessary.
- Performs in an independent manner with little or no supervision.
- Periodically reviews provider’s coding/CPT code assignment as assigned.
- Reports all malfunctions of equipment to appropriate personnel.
- Trains all new coders to adhere to standards within the department.
- Displays courtesy at all times when communicating with physicians, staff members, and the public.
- Adheres to coding standards as provided by Federal and State regulations.
- Reports to the Manager on any problems regarding coding.
- Performs related duties as assigned, or as the situation dictates.
- Register, code, and charge for Radiology services and/or other providers as identified.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of medical terminology.
Education, Skills, Experience Requirements:
- A High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of current coding classification systems.
- Medical terminology and anatomy.
- Employee is encouraged to obtain a coding certification as a RHIA, RHIT or CCS.
- Completion of any in-hospital training required.
- Ability to relate professionally with other hospital staff.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Some work-related experience is required.