MT/MLT – Full-Time or Part-Time – Laboratory
Cary Medical Center’s laboratory department is fully accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP). CAP accreditation is only granted to laboratories who have achieved the highest standards of excellence. This is based on rigorous inspections by independent laboratory professionals. Our technical staff meets all the educations and experience requirements of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), a division of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. CLIA regulates all laboratory testing to ensure quality, compliance, and proficiency. Cary Medical Center provides two full-time pathologists who provide anatomical pathology and cytological services, as well as clinical consultation.
Hours of Service
Laboratory services are available 24-hours every day for inpatient and emergency department patients. Outpatient phlebotomy services are available Monday through Friday from 6:30 AM to 5:00 PM and on Saturdays from 7:00 AM to noon.
- Transfusion Medicine
From the main entrance at Cary Medical Center, the laboratory department is located approximately half-way from the hospital’s main hallway to the left. Patients can register for phlebotomy services in the laboratory department during normal laboratory hours. If you require assistance or are unfamiliar with our facility, our customer service volunteers would be happy to escort you to the department.
Activities include, but are not limited to, the performance of routine and specialty laboratory tests in order to aid Medical Providers in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Essential Job Duties:
- Consistently obtains optimal quality specimens from inpatients and outpatients
- Responds promptly to computer orders and telephone requests
- Identifies patients properly and demonstrates outstanding customer service skills
- Explains the procedure to the patient and answers questions appropriately
- Completes draw with one needle stick to obtain sufficient quantity of specimen greater than 95% of the time
- Labels all tubes correctly and completely
- Responds promptly to STAT and URGENT requests
- Follows Universal Precautions
- Performs all types of laboratory procedures without any supervision, following procedures as approved by the Laboratory Medical Director
- Insures equipment, instruments and reagents are in working order and readily accessible for co-workers coming in on the next shift
- Works diligently to process specimens and obtain results in a prompt manner
- Promptly reports critical values
- Assures QC is acceptable before reporting patient results and if unacceptable, documents remedial actions taken
- Completes proficiency tests as assigned in the same manner patients tests are completed
- Takes an active role in mentoring students of Medical Technology
- Performs CLIA required control activities and consistently includes quality control material as outlined in the standard operating procedure(s)
- Dilutes and repeats tests outside the instrument’s linear range
- Performs linearity, correlation and/or precision checks as scheduled
- Maintains instruments; troubleshoots and repairs as necessary and documents repairs on all equipment
- Notifies Lab Primary Charge of instrument or procedural problems immediately
- Meets the identified organizational requirements and work habits while at the same time, promotes a collaborative and cooperative work environment
- Actions reflect a positive approach to work
- Demonstrates the ability to work with others in a team environment and build rapport with team mates
- Assists the phlebotomy staff as necessary to provide prompt, compassionate customer service to all patients
- Performs other work related duties as assigned
- Complies with the rules and regulations of all Federal, State and Local governments
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree in medical laboratory technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical or biological science or have successfully passed the HEW CLT examination
- Registry with ASCP, HEW or AMT
- CPR and basic first aid recommended
Must be able to work Sunday through Saturday with occasional weekend and holiday coverage required. Employee will work on various shifts as assigned.