Registered Nurse – 12 hrs/wk & 36 hrs/wk – Maternal/Child
Provides direct patient care in the medical, surgical, pediatric, and antepartum, labor/delivery, postpartum, and newborn care setting. Communicates with providers about changes in patient’s clinical condition including: fetal monitoring, results of diagnostic studies, and symptomatology. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment. Additionally, is able to perform general nursing duties in all departments with adequate supervision. Participates in performance improvement activities.
Essential Job Duties:
- Knowledge of correct administration of medications based on patient age, weight, and clinical condition.
- Ability to care for neonate at delivery and perform neonatal resuscitation according to guidelines.
- Ability to perform a head-to-toe assessment on all patients, from neonates to adults.
- Ability to assess and reassess pain, while utilizing both pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic pain relief methods. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
- Ability to formulate an individualized plan of care, revise it as indicated by the patient’s response to treatment, evaluate it daily for effectiveness, and resolve any problems as needed.
- Formulates a teaching plan based upon identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning (family is included in teaching as appropriate).
- Demonstrates knowledge of fetal monitoring, identifies FHR patterns, and treats appropriately based upon standards.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to charge nurse, co-workers, and providers.
- Consults other departments as appropriate to provide an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
- Coordinates and supervises patient care.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist providers with procedures in labor and delivery, post-partum and newborn nursery.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity, and identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic, and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
- Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves patient/family in the formation of the plan of care.
- Maintains a positive working relationship both within the department and between departments.
- Documentation meets current standards and policies.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Demonstrates familiarity with hospital, nursing services and maternal/child policies and guidelines by utilization and compliance.
- Voluntarily and/or upon invitation participates in nursing services and/or hospital committee activity.
- Demonstrates familiarity with and actively participates in orientation policies and guidelines.
- Recognizes learning needs and takes initiative to set measurable goals for own professional growth and development.
- Keeps current in the field of maternal/child via journals, workshops, and continuing education.
- Meets a minimum of 15 hrs/year of continuing education.
- Meets the unit’s annual competency training requirements.
- Demonstrates knowledge of cultural factors and age-specific competencies.
- Performs all assigned duties.
License and Educational Requirements
Current state of Maine registered nurse license
One or more years of recent labor and delivery/newborn nursery experience, experience preferred.
Successful completion of Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), BLS/CPR, Fetal Monitoring.